Gillespie & Steel Associates Ltd. is a Barbadian company offering Architectural, Interior Design and Project Management services in Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean. Established in 1969 the firm has gained immeasurable experience in a wide range of projects having been active in the industry for over forty years.
Their well qualified professional and technical staff offer a personalized professional service which can be tailored to suit specific client requirements. Their combined qualifications, experience and skills acquired collectively and individually throughout the Caribbean, United Kingdom, Canada and U.S.A. provide an effective and efficient project design and implementation team.
Gillespie & Steel Associates Ltd also offers full professional Interior Design Services under its G & S Interiors brand. G & S Interiors will provide conceptual development, space planning, finishes specifications and furnishings. They work with clients and other professionals to develop design solutions that are safe, efficient, attractive and structured to meet the needs of the end user.
At Gillespie & Steel the approach to design places considerable emphasis on problem solving in the tropical context. They have been able to develop traditional and classical Caribbean design elements in a contemporary way to produce an up-to-date and valid Caribbean style that works well within the climatic, financial and technical constraints of the region. Excellent design quality, attention to detail, and cost control result in the successful completion of projects on programme and within budget.
Gillespie & Steel are members of the Green Building Council and apply the principles of Green design to all projects wherever possible. They have carried out considerable research on the subject of Energy Conservation in buildings in the tropics, and their policy is to design buildings which are easy to maintain and economical to run, making use of natural energy and energy conservation methods wherever possible.
Various design awards have been won by the Company. These include two Commonwealth Association of Architects National Awards, several Barbados National Trust Awards and two Bloomberg Residential Property Awards.
A wide range of projects have been successfully completed including:
- Residential: Luxury Villas, Condominium and Townhouse Developments;
- Commercial: Banks; Restaurants; Offices including multi storey speculative offices as well as bespoke individual offices (CGI, Warrens Tower, Valeant); Manufacturing (Newton Business Park); Retail Developments (Lime Grove Complex, Bayshore)
- Hospitality: Coral Reef Club, Sandpiper, Elegant Hotels, The Spa at Coral Reef
- Visitor Attractions: Harrisons Cave, Flower Forest;
- Public Sector: Ministry of Education, Barbados Supreme Court Complex.
- Restoration/Adaptive Reuse: Numerous projects including The Pavilion, George Washington House, Arlington House, The Barbados Museum, Tyrol Cot.